Saturday, December 17, 2005

Singing, Dancing, Meatballs and More!

Yes, it's been over a week since our little Christmas get-together. It was a nice evening with friends, and all in all a successful "do". Danny played the guitar and performed a Christmas song that he had written. Beth had done a sort of science experiment in her kitchen that ended with some of the best cheese I've ever had. Yes, she MADE cheese; talk about crafty. And also on a crafty note, Brad provided everyone with Santa hats and puff paint for decorating. I'd hoped there would be another craft night hidden in this "Do", and Brad didn't disappoint. Natalia performed a Hula dance with poi balls that was both amazing and kind of frightening. Mike gave everyone a copy of their reference toxicity characters with several brand new characters added. You'd really have to see it to appreciate how awesome it is. We're probably going to frame ours. Lastly, Mark and I did a reading of How the Grinch Stole Christmas in the style of Rocky Horror with guided audience participation. The fart noise-makers were probably the best part, even though they were more of an afterthought.

As far as the rest of the party went (and by rest, I mean FOOD), I've decided that hands down appetizers are the most fun foods to cook. I made fudge, spinach dip, cocktail meatballs, and a cake, and Mark made little sandwiches, and sugared almonds. The spinach dip and the meatballs were completely new recipes to me, and while the dip was a little underwhelming, I was impressed with the meatballs. And since they were all eaten, I'm guessing everyone else liked them too. So, my craftiness for this post is to share the recipe for them.

Super Easy Cocktail Meatballs

1 pound lean ground beef
1 egg
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup bread crumbs
4 tablespoons minced onion

1/2 can jellied cranberry sauce
3/4 cup chili sauce (sold near the barbecue sauce)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons of lemon juice

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  • In a bowl, mix together first five ingredients and roll into small meatballs. Place on greased cookie sheet.
  • Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, turning all meatballs once halfway through.
  • In a Crock-Pot, combine cranberry sauce, chili sauce, brown sugar, and lemon juice. Stir to combine after heating for about 15 minutes.
  • Add meatballs to crock-pot, and simmer for 1 hour before serving.

*Sorry, I'll add a few pictures from the evening when I can, but I'm at work without my camera right now.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool ya'll got a "DO" i got shit, but it sounds like ya'll had fun. Congrats on the new job in Reno i'm glad that ya'll are moving out there so i'll have a place to crash when i do shows towards the west coast. Happy Valentnes Day!

Anonymous said...

Hey Laura!! Happy Valentine's Day! I am so excited that you got a new job in Reno. I can not wait to see you. Colin and I have been talking about planning a trip that way, so hopefully I will get to see you before another year passes. I love you and miss you a lot!! Have fun with your hubby (and Zeus) today!

Beth

Anonymous said...

Hey kiddo! Glad you guys are doing well. Sad to not have you around, glad you've got a new cool job!

I still need to do a zues drawing for you, i'm sucha crappy friend...

Have a happy Valentines Day
-Joe Havasy

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentines Day Laura!!! I had so much fun camping with you this weekend; Im glad you guys made it out! Enjoy the day and keep smiling. You are a wonderfully sweet friend!

Da Beef said...

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY! You are a great friend and I will really miss you. I'm so glad that I got to know you. You are so generous, spunky and smart. Mark is such a lucky guy to have such an amazing wife. You two are great! You will be missed tremendously, but we will definately have to come and visit. Take care and best wishes on the many wonderful things to come your way out in the Wild, Wild West! Keep smilin'...cuz "You're Movin' to Reno!"

Anonymous said...

HAPPY VD DAY! ....I mean V-Day. It really sucks that you guys are moving to reno, but at least now we have an excuse to go out and lose some money! We'll miss you guys alot! Keep in touch

super_spam said...

Happy Valentines Day!!

I miss you and Mark so much!

Holy wow, you guys are moving to Reno? Very cool.

Andrew

Anonymous said...

I thought about putting the lyrics to "sexula healing" on here but there are so many other good things that I can say. First off, I am going to miss you very much when you and good ole what's his name move to Reno. I am glad that we managed to pack so much into so little time here in P'cola. Like Beth said, we will have to come out to Reno and visit. You're still here and I already miss you.

Danny

Anonymous said...

We ate your heart shaped pancakes this morning..they were FINE but we missed seeing your faces at the other end of the table!