Friday, February 18, 2005

Yay Stenciling!

I convinced my husband and our roommate to try out stenciling with me. I found a sweet Mr. T stencil online from another craftster member. Mike got his image from a favorite CD, and Mark designed his own. First we got the images ready to go on freezer paper and used an exacto to cut out the stencil. Then, the freezer paper can be ironed directly onto the T-shirts. Finally, we painted. We used 1/2 cheap acrylic craft paint & 1/2 fabric medium and applied it with craft sponges. Once everything was dry, we peeled off the stencils and heat set the images using an iron over a cloth - then the shirts were complete. Yay! Stenciling is so much easier than I thought it would be. For more detailed instructions, check out www.stencilrevolution.com.
And here are the results:


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really dig the shirts...we are gonna have to do one sometime. I found the instructions and it doesn't sound too hard, maybe just a little time consuming. I can't find any cool stencil ideas though. Help!!! Where did you find the Mr. T one? I went to Wal Mart last night trying to find some "crafty" stuff to do, and I couldn't find anything but some fabric, so I'm gonna make a shirt when I get off of work today. I'll let ya know how it turns out. Oh...I also found a cool idea...I'll tell you about it later though.

Singularity said...

Thanks for getting my shirt on there LJ. That was the most fun I ever had crafting.

tigerita said...

awesome! i love stencils! when i lived in chile, i would go to downtown santiago all the time to check out the stencils on all the walls. then one day, i was at my friend's house, sitting on his bed, and a folder fell on my head. i opened it, and it was all the stencils i had been admiring for months! it was him all along!

p.s. i'm totally linking to you! hooray for married 23 year old crafty poli-sci feminists! we could start a club!