
"The Man They Call Jayne"
So I made Mark a Jayne Cobb hat for Christmas, and I'm quite proud of how it turned out. For those who aren't massive geeks like us, Jayne Cobb is a character in the show Firefly. It's a sci-fi/western show that aired for only one season on FOX and then was canceled, but it has a pretty large (and knitting) following. Anyway, in one episode, Jayne received a hat just like this from his mother. Now, there are tons of Firefly fans out there sporting the hat to show their support. It also happens to be really warm and comfy. I got the pattern from craftster, except I used acrylic worsted weight yarn with two strands held together. I needed it to be machine washable yarn, since Mark tends to get his hats pretty dirty when he's working in the field.
The great thing about the hat is that Mark pulls it off exactly as the character in the show did. See, Jayne is a very rough-and-tumble sort of guy who tends to make lots of enemies and carry big guns (you see where I'm going with this). So, what would otherwise be a perfectly nice hat is hysterical on him. Mark seems to get quite a reaction when wearing this hat. People at work, at the bank, even the lady at the gas station all seem compelled to at least say, "Wow, that's some hat!" Of course, he has yet to meet a fellow Firefly fan while wearing it, but I'm sure they'll have a reaction as well... probably a more decidedly positive one. As far as my thoghts, I have to defer to Wash's statement concerning the hat, "Man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."

1 comment:
To quote from "Go, Dogs, Go" written by Dr. Seuss..."Do you like my hat? I LIKE that hat! That party hat"
Yes, it takes such a man as Mark to wear a hat like that!
Mommyjolle
Post a Comment