Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A New Year and a Blogiversary


So I've had this blog for over 2 years now, and I'm starting to want to do a little more with it...like actually blog. I know if I don't put it up here, I will never hold myself to it. I have a tendency of writing my resolutions in pencil, so I can go back and erase any that might seem less doable farther into the year. I'll honestly consider it a success if I even manage to blog once a month, but of course I'll try and shoot for more. I do think about blogging occasionally. I tend to take loads of pictures of things that I make or cook when they are done, but then I never do anything with them. And so, I will start the year off with two such pictures I've taken in the last two weeks. The first is my beautifully ugly monkey bread.

Monkey Bread

I made it from a mix that my in-laws got me. It was deliciously sweet, but a little too sweet for only two people. We sadly couldn't finish it, but it was tons of fun to make. It's a very involved process. You make the dough, then let it rise, then roll it into a bunch of little balls (and its
all gooey and sticks to your fingers), then the best part is dipping each little ball into butter and rolling it in a cinnamon and sugar mixture. Anyways, I think I'll try it again and just figure out a way to cut the sweetness.
The next picture was a special project I undertook for Mark. See his favorite food to order whenever we go to a pub is Shepherds Pie. They make a really good one at McGuire's Irish Pub in Pensacola. It is one of the few things we actually miss about that place (other than the great friends of course). So anyway, the local brewery out here has a Shepherds Pie on their menu, and we went there for Marks birthday last month only to be disappointed. It was too much like gravy stew with a dollop of potatoes on top. So I promised him I would find out how and make a Shepherds Pie just like McGuire's, and I DID IT!

Shepherds Pie

Even down to the little Irish flag stuck in the top and the individual size casserole dishes, which by the way are not sold at Wal-Mart, Linens N'Things, or Bed Bath and Beyond. I finally found them at World Market and was ecstatic. Now onto the food, Shepherds Pie is NOT just meat with potatoes on top. It must be made with lamb; the Brits are very specific about this. See Shepherds watch sheep, and if it's anything else then it's not Shepherds Pie. In fact, if you make it with beef it should be called "Cottage Pie". Americans don't give a damn about semantics so we basically call anything Shepherds Pie. Almost all the recipes I found when searching for Shepherds Pie had something other than lamb. I pretty much made up my own recipe as I went, which is very unusual for me as I generally like to have very specific instructions when making something new. I used peas and carrots for the vegetables, and just Worcestershire sauce, garlic and thyme for seasonings (and salt and pepper of course). I am so pleased with how it turned out. This is really the ultimate comfort food and will become a winter standard along with chili in our house. It's very easy to make, and I think the little bowls make it more fun too. Dipping this out onto a plate creates a messy appearance, but serving it like this is just cute. So I'm on a little cooking kick lately, now I just need to get on a running kick.

3 comments:

cj said...

Ooooooh! That looks DELICIOUS! I really LOVE Shepherd's pie...ever since I lived in England. I think we would like that too so tell me how you did it. And just to give as good as I get, here's the recipe for Agression cookies.

3 cups packed brown sugar
3 cups butter/margarine (half
butter,half margarine)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
1 TBSP soda
3 cups flour
6 cups quick cooking oats

Combine sugar and butter in large bowl. Add vanilla & salt. Combine soda and flour and beat into sugar mixture.Add oats, 1 cup at a time, mixing with hands when it gets stiff. Form walnut sized balls and put on cookie sheet. Flatten with a buttered, sugared jelly glass.
Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.
Makes 15 dozen. Freezes well.
Be sure to wipe excess oil after pan between batches or they will spread too much.

Next blog, you could write about stepping back into the 19th century and post one of the pictures Jon sent you!

Singularity said...

Next you have to put up the recipe and pictures for your meatloaf and SweetPotato casserole. Miss ya and your yummy treats. I was talking about her food Mark, gosh.

Da Beef said...

I had no idea you were blogging again! That's awesome. Now I need to take some initiative. You know I love that you are into the whole cooking thing right now. I love the flag too! Really adds the final touch. How ya been....hadn't talked in awhile, really miss ya. Gonna call I promise. We'll be seeing ya soon. WOO HOO!